- This event has passed.
August 8 @ 7:00 pm – 10:30 pm PDT
Monday, August 8, 7:00PM PT
Please be mindful of the SCL’s Code of Conduct.
Oscar® winner Jordan Peele reimagines the summer movie with Nope, an expansive pop epic of uncanny science fiction and complex social thriller that unpacks the seeds of violence, risk, and, opportunism that are inseparable from the romanticized history of the American West…and from show business itself. Nope stars Oscar® winner Daniel Kaluuya, Keke Palmer, Oscar® nominee Steven Yeun, Michael Wincott, Brandon Perea, and Keith David. The film is produced by Ian Cooper p.g.a., and is written, produced, and directed by Jordan Peele. The executive producers are Robert Graf and Win Rosenfeld.
R | 130mins
Michael Abels is a two-time Emmy-nominated composer who is known for his genre-defying scores for the Jordan Peele films Get Out and Us, for which Abels won a World Soundtrack Award, the Jerry Goldsmith Award, a Critics Choice nomination, and multiple critics awards. The hip-hop-influenced score for Us was short-listed for the Oscar and was even named “Score of the Decade” by The Wrap. Other recent media projects include the films Bad Education, Nightbooks, Fake Famous, and the docu-series Allen v. Farrow. Current releases include Beauty which premiered at the Tribeca Festival and is now streaming on Netflix and Breaking (formerly “892″) which premiered at Sundance and opens in theaters on August 29. Abels’ third collaboration with Jordan Peele, Nope opened in theaters on July 22.
Abels’ creative output also includes many concert works, including At War With Ourselves for the Kronos Quartet, Isolation Variation for Hilary Hahn, and the opera Omar co-composed with Grammy-winning singer/songwriter Rhiannon Giddens, which opens at Los Angeles Opera on October 22. His scores have been performed by the New York Philharmonic, the Chicago Symphony, the Los Angeles Master Chorale, and many others. Some of these pieces are available on the Cedille label, including Delights & Dances and Winged Creatures. Current commissions include a work for the National Symphony and a guitar concerto for Grammy-nominated artist Mak Grgic.
Abels serves on the SCL Board of Directors and is co-founder of the Composers Diversity Collective, an advocacy group to increase the visibility of composers of color in film, gaming, and streaming media.
*** IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
– Check-in begins 6:30PM.
– If you RSVP but are unable to attend, please cancel your reservation by 10:00AM, Monday, August 8.
– Complimentary Valet Parking @ The London
– Free for current SCL members (click here to check your membership status) plus one guest who will stay for both the screening and Q&A.
– Guests of SCL members may NOT attend without the member invitee, or if the member RSVPs, but cannot attend and cancels.
– Please allow extra time for traffic and check-in.
– This invitation is non-transferable.
– In the event of a waitlist, please be sure to sign up two times if you intend on bringing any guests (limit 1 guest per member).
– Please follow the SCL Member Code of Conduct
– Per California state health guidelines, masks are recommended to be worn indoors at all times.