THE SCL MENTOR PROGRAM
The SCL Mentor Program is designed to serve as an introduction to the screen music industry for selected SCL Associate Members. Separate programs are run in Los Angeles and New York, and the season runs from fall to spring each year.
Both composers and songwriters are invited to apply. Applicants will be asked to designate whether they consider themselves primarily a composer or songwriter. During the program, there will be sessions devoted specifically to each discipline (i.e. composing/songwriting) however the applicant’s initial designation will in no way limit their ability to attend any session.
To be eligible, the applicant must be a current SCL Associate Member. An applicant will be ruled ineligible if credits qualify them for a higher level of SCL membership.
Selected applicants should be available for Zoom-based virtual sessions during business hours as well as some in-person sessions, should conditions permit. Most sessions are in the evening, subject to times that mentors are available. Finalists will be interviewed regarding their availability to attend all sessions.
Please note that mentors are volunteering their time. Sessions cannot always be confirmed with advance notice. Efforts are made to provide details as far ahead as possible, but mentees should plan to be flexible.
During the program, mentees have the opportunity to interact with working composers and songwriters, many of whom sit on the SCL Board of Directors and embody the industry practicalities of creating music in all genres. Activities include meetings with music attorneys, PRO reps, engineers, music editors, orchestrators, music copyists, talent contractors, publicists, and performing musicians, among others.
EIGHT mentees are selected for each term, however this number may vary at the SCL’s discretion.
- For composers: MP3's of original film score music, or links to websites, SoundCloud, ReelCrafter, or DropBox links to original film score material totaling no more than 5 minutes of music. PDFs of scores are encouraged if available.
- For songwriters: MP3's of original songs (demos are fine), or links to websites, SoundCloud, ReelCrafter, or DropBox links to song material totaling no more than 5 minutes of music. Songs may be edited to a single verse & chorus for brevity. PDFs of lead sheets and/or lyric sheets with chords are encouraged if available.
- A statement no longer than one page indicating what the applicant hopes to gain from the mentor experience, as well as the applicant’s goals as a music creator for audiovisual media.
- A one-page résumé/CV with education credentials and credits, including all current and previous internships and workshops.
- Optional: Vimeo or YouTube link to a demo reel or any other visual elements that support your submission.
Applicants missing any of the required materials will be disqualified.
For any questions, please use the Contact page and direct your questions to the Mentor Program.
Meet the 2022 - 2023 Participants
Information for the 2023 - 2024 Mentor Program
will be announced in August/September, 2023
ELIGIBLE FOR BOTH LA & NY MENTOR PROGRAM
CLOSED - RESULTS TO BE ANNOUNCED
If you are interested in being notified when the next Mentor Program opens for applications, use the Notify Me button below to be added to that mailing list.
This notification system will only be used for the purposes of alerting you about the SCL Mentor Program and is completely separate from all other SCL communications. You may unsubscribe at any time.