The SCL Mentor Program serves as an introduction to the screen music industry for selected SCL Associate Members. Separate programs are run in both Los Angeles and New York. Both programs are now closed for applications.
Both composers and songwriters are invited to apply. Applicants should designate whether they consider themselves primarily a composer or songwriter. During the program there will be sessions devoted specifically to each discipline (i.e. composing and songwriting) however the applicant’s initial designation will in no way limit his/her ability to attend any session.
To qualify for admission, the applicant must be a current SCL Associate Member. An applicant will be ruled ineligible if credits qualify them for a higher level of SCL membership.
LOS ANGELES mentees should reside in the Los Angeles area, and be available for Zoom-based virtual sessions during business hours. Most sessions are in the afternoon, subject to mentor availability. Finalists will be interviewed regarding their availability to attend all sessions.
NEW YORK mentees should live in the New York City metro area and be availble for virtual meetings on Zoom. Most sessions are in the afternoon and evening.
Please note that mentors are volunteering their time. Sessions cannot always be confirmed with much prior notice. Efforts are made to provide details as far ahead as possible, but mentees should plan to be flexible.
During the program, mentees have the opportunity to interact with working composers and songwriters, many of whom sit on the SCL Board of Directors and embody the industry practicalities of creating music in all genres. Activities include meetings with music attorneys, PRO reps, engineers, music editors, orchestrators, music copyists, talent contractors, publicists, and performing musicians, among others.
EIGHT mentees are selected for each term, however this number may vary at the SCL’s discretion.
The 2020-2021 LOS ANGELES Mentor Program runs from October 12, 2020 through March 29, 2021 with a short holiday break.
The 2020-2021 NEW YORK Mentor Program runs from October 19, 2020 through May 2021 with a short holiday break.
We are not currently accepting applications for the Mentor Program. The next time we open for applications, we will update this page. You may also click the Notify Me button below to be notified of future seasons. For those who would like to prepare ahead of time, the application process entails submitting the following to the SCL:
- For composers: MP3's of original film score music, or links to websites, SoundCloud, ReelCrafter, or DropBox links to original film score material totaling no more than 5 minutes of music. PDFs of scores are encouraged if available.
- For songwriters: MP3's of original songs (demos are fine), or links to websites, SoundCloud, ReelCrafter, or DropBox links to song material totaling no more than 5 minutes of music. Songs may be edited to a single verse & chorus for brevity. PDFs of lead sheets and/or lyric sheets with chords are encouraged if available.
- A statement no longer than one page indicating what the applicant hopes to gain from the mentor experience, as well as the applicant’s goals as a music creator for audiovisual media.
- A one-page résumé/CV with education credentials and credits, including all current and previous internships and workshops.
- Optional: Vimeo or YouTube link to a demo reel or any other visual elements that support your submission.
Applicants missing any of the required materials will be disqualified.
For any questions, please use the Contact page and direct your questions to the Mentor Program.
If you are interested in being notified when the next Mentor Program opens for applications, use the Notify Me button below to be added to that mailing list.
This notification system will only be used for the purposes of alerting you about the SCL Mentor Program and is completely separate from all other SCL communications. You may unsubscribe at any time.