CASE Act Passes Congress
2020 has been a difficult year for many, but we have some very good news to share. Yesterday, December 21, Congress PASSED the CASE Act as part of the end-of-year omnibus and COVID-19 relief package, titled the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021. The bill will now go to the President’s desk for signature.
We know we sent you many requests to contact your congressional members and to help us advocate for this vital legislation. Because of your tremendous support and hard work, this legislation has passed and will help creators across the United States to defend their copyrighted works from infringement. You can read our statement on the passage here. If you are a new member and unfamiliar with the CASE Act, you can learn more about it here. We could not have accomplished this without your support. If you have the time, we created an easy way for you to thank your Congressional members here.
There are two other important parts to this bill that you should know about. First, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 is legislation that will bring much needed economic support for thousands of creators who have lost jobs, gigs, performances and significant income due to the pandemic. Second, the Protecting Lawful Streaming Act (PLSA) was also included in the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, which will modernize copyright law by harmonizing criminal penalties for illegal streaming of copyrighted works to be consistent with those that have long existed for illegal downloading and distribution. By updating criminal copyright law, the PLSA will provide prosecutors with an effective tool to deter harmful criminal activity and protect the rights of creators and copyright owners.
Again, passage of the CASE Act would not have been possible without all of your tremendous efforts. You, our creator members, have kept the Copyright Alliance team motivated during this difficult year. We wish you all the happiest of holiday seasons and we look forward to continue advocating for your rights and providing you with more information about CASE Act implementation.
Supporters of the CASE Act include:
- ACT|the App Association
- Alliance for Women Film Composers
- American Association of Independent Music
- American Bar Association
- American Conservative Union
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Photographic Artists
- American Society for Collective Rights Licensing
- American Society of Journalists and Authors
- American Society of Media Photographers
- Association of American Publishers
- Association of Health Care Journalists
- Authors Guild
- Conservatives for Property Rights
- Copyright Alliance
- Digital Media Licensing Association
- Dramatists Guild of America
- Future of Music Coalition
- Garden Communicators International
- Graphic Artists Guild
- Horror Writers’ Association
- Independent Book Publishers Association
- Institute for Intellectual Property and Social Justice
- International Authors Forum
- Latin Recording Academy
- Living Legends Foundation
- Music Answers
- Nashville Songwriters Association International
- National Music Publishers Association
- National Press Photographers Association
- National Small Business Association
- National Writers Union/UAW Local 1981
- News Media Alliance
- North American Nature Photography Association
- Novelists, Inc.
- Professional Photographers of America
- Recording Academy
- Recording Industry Association of America
- Romance Writers of America
- Rhythm & Blues Foundation
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America
- Screen Actors Guild‐American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA)
- Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council
- Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators
- Society of Composers and Lyricists
- Songwriters Guild of America
- Songwriters of North America
- SoundExchange, Inc.
- U.S. Black Chambers, Inc.
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce