- This event has passed.
December 3, 2021 @ 7:30 pm – 10:30 pm PST
SCL Screening + LIVE Q&A: NIGHTMARE ALLEY w/Nathan Johnson
MODERATED BY TIM GREIVING (Film Music Journalist)
Friday, December 3, 7:30PM PT
Please be mindful of the SCL’s Code of Conduct.
When charismatic but down-on-his-luck Stanton Carlisle (Bradley Cooper) endears himself to clairvoyant Zeena (Toni Collette) and her has-been mentalist husband Pete (David Strathairn) at a traveling carnival, he crafts a golden ticket to success, using this newly acquired knowledge to grift the wealthy elite of 1940s New York society. With the virtuous Molly (Rooney Mara) loyally by his side, Stanton plots to con a dangerous tycoon (Richard Jenkins) with the aid of a mysterious psychiatrist (Cate Blanchett) who might be his most formidable opponent yet. R | 139mins
Nathan Johnson is a multi-talented and innovative composer, director, and producer, Nathan Johnson turned heads in 2005 with his idiosyncratic score for the neo-noir film Brick. He continued pairing traditional instrumentation with unconventional audio sources on subsequent films like Looper, The Brothers Bloom, and Knives Out. In addition to his film work, Johnson has produced numerous short films and music videos and is a founding member of the Los Angeles-based visual, engineering, and musical arts collective The Echo Society. Nathan native moved to England in the 2000s and founded The Cinematic Underground, an alternative rock collective that featured a revolving cast of friends and family from both home and abroad. The group released its debut album, the narrative-driven Annasthesia, in 2003.
Johnson composed the score to Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s directorial debut, Don Jon, in 2013 and served as both composer and executive producer on director Jake Paltrow’s science fiction action film Young Ones in 2014. That same year, he scored the biographical crime thriller Kill the Messenger. He teamed back up with cousin Rian for the 2019 mystery blockbuster Knives Out, and in 2021 he provided the soundtrack to Gordon Levitt’s comedy-drama television series Mr. Corman. Most recently, Johnson has scored Nightmare Alley, Guillermo Del Toro’s much-anticipated psychological thriller for Searchlight Pictures.
*** IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
– Check-in begins 7:00PM.
– If you RSVP but are unable to attend, please cancel your reservation by 10:00AM, Friday, December 3.
– Free for current SCL members (click here to check your membership status) plus TWO guests who will stay for both the screening and Q&A.
– Guests of SCL members may NOT attend without the member invitee, or if the member RSVPs, but cannot attend and cancels.
– Please allow extra time for traffic and check-in.
– This invitation is non-transferable.
– In the event of a waitlist, please be sure to sign up three times if you intend on bringing any guests (limit 2 guest per member).
– Please follow the SCL Member Code of Conduct
– Please be prepared to show proof of vaccination at the screening. Masks will be enforced throughout the screening and Q&A.